Create your very own gourd drum.
This 27 page tutorial is filled with large color photos that will take you step-by-step to making a drum gourd.
- Cutting your gourd
- Attaching the head by stapling
- Attaching the head by lacing
- Making your own leather lace
Materials Needed for this Project:
- A bottle gourd – We will be using a bottle gourd for our drum . Decorated in your style
- Goat skin, at least 1 ½“ larger than the widest part of the gourd. You do not want to use soft pliable leather for this or the sound will not be as nice! See resources at the end of this tutorial to see where you can purchase goat skin for drums.
- A metal ring to attach the drum head. These rings generally come in 5”and 6 “ and are available at most craft stores. Be sure to get one big enough to go over the bottom of the cut gourd.
- Cord to attach the drum head to the ring. This can be nylon cord, which is what I prefer. I use 1/8”. About 15’ to start. Once you get the hang of it you can use less but I don’t want you running out when you first start lacing the head so we will start with too much!
- Ribbon or leather to cover the ring if preferred. Can be cut from the goat skin.
- Rough sandpaper 60 grit
- Awl or hole punch
- Saw for cutting the top and bottom off the gourd
- Large Spoon or scaper to clean out the gourd
- Face Mask
- Black spray paint